In August 2017, the State Services Commissioner appointed Ray Smith, then Chief Executive of the Department of Corrections, to undertake the new system role of Government Health and Safety Lead.
As of 1 November 2018, Ray Smith took up the role of Director-General for the Ministry for Primary Industries, retaining the role of Government Health and Safety Lead.
The Government Health and Safety Lead (GHSL) provides practical support to chief executives and senior leaders of government agencies to enable their personal leadership of health and safety for the benefit of all New Zealanders.
The GHSL works with 37 public service and other government agencies to:
- strengthen system capability
- build cross-sector relationships that sustain learning and intelligence about what works
- raise awareness of issues and opportunities
- support sharing of proactive and joined up responses
- develop system resources where is it practical to do so.
You can read more about the GHSL in our About Us booklet.
The Government Health and Safety Lead's website is sponsored by the Accident Compensation Corporation and WorkSafe New Zealand